Monday, December 6, 2010

Recent Project

I recently took on a project - which is not my nature. Projects in my home are the woman's domain. Not for any gender-based reason, but just because I as the only man in the home, hate projects; and my wife, as the only woman in the home, loves them. Painting, building, staining, quilting, etc. that's all for my wife. I'd rather play Modern Warfare or watch a movie, and I'll work on the cars if they ever need fixin'.
Well the stars aligned and hell froze over during the four day Thanksgiving weekend. I participated in the anathema. I went to Home Depot, bought plywood, hardwood, glue, clamps . . . I went to my dad and borrowed his router, circular saw, chop saw, table, sanders . . . I started building an entertainment center from scratch.

Now mind you, I used to enjoy projects and building. In all honesty my hatred for projects is more a function of being tired than not enjoying the work. But the result is the same, projects are never started by me.

That being said, I feel this one went surprisingly well. Especially considering the fact that I have never done any woodworking before in my life. I have worked construciton, and done some framing, so I do have familiarity with many of the tools, but I have never made any furniture before.

I thought I'd share some photos of the work.













Placing the vertical boards in the bottom piece.












Gluing the pieces together


Gluing the Facing on the shelves and sides













In our living room.



Another view of the (somewhat) finished project.



This project is not completely finished. I will still be making doors and placing them on all the compartments. I will update this when it is complete. In the meantime, after ~40 hours of work, I feel that this entertainment center is turning out very nice, and am a little impressed with myself for doing it.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, it looks great. Did you square off the bottom?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure I understand the question. In the middle picture, the piece is upside down, so you're looking at the bottom. I didn't do any other work to the bottom after that picture was taken. Don't know if that answers your question at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, got it. The seconde picture has a little overhang on bottom, and then the middle picture tricked me.

    ReplyDelete